Area B

 

Area B is located on the western side of the Mound B, the second hill of the site that was already investigated by R. Koldewey in 1887. Here a trench (10 x 5 m) has been opened. Several parts of mud bricks walls have been identified as belonging to at least two different occupational phases, all to be dated to the Ubaid 4 Period (according to the pottery materials found in the different strata and on the floors).

The main wall (W.29) with East-West orientation probably belongs to the oldest phase, it reaches now a thickness of 2.5 m but the northern limit has not been identified yet. On its southern facade, this wall has the recess and buttresses typical architectural decoration of the Mesopotamian public buildings since the Ubaid Period.

New associated floors (L. 27) has been discovered related to the last chronological phase of occupation of the building. The most ancient floor (L. 30) has been partially recovered in the south-western sector of the trench in correspondence to the presence of at least five stands in situ. These objects, dated to the  Ubaid 4 Period, had good parallels with the stands discovered in the Temple VI of Eridu.

2015